Why choose hardwood floors?
There's nothing quite as elegant as the natural characteristics of hardwood, whether you choose a finish that’s smooth or rich in texture. Hardwood is an extremely versatile product that offers beauty, easy care & excellent resale value for your home. Better yet, hardwood can last for decades, and its value only increases with age.
ABOUT HARDWOOD FLOORING
Hardwood flooring is one of the most popular choices for homes. The rich look of hardwood floors can add warmth and charm to any room, and today’s hardwood comes in a range of species that includes traditional oak, maple, and ash as well as more exotic styles such as Ipe, Cumaru, and Tigerwood. We carry a huge selection of hardwood flooring with unique visual characteristics that will give your home a stylish, signature look you’ll love. We also offer a range of finishing options that include distressed or hand-scraped textures.
TYPES OF HARDWOOD
The end results may look similar, but there are actually several distinct types of hardwood, each with its own pros and cons.
- Each plank is a single piece of 100% hardwood milled from lumber
- ¾-inch thickness allows the floor to be sanded & refinished over several generations
- Expands and contracts, meaning installers need to leave a gap when installing
- Not recommended for installation below ground level or in bathrooms
- Produced with three to ten layers of wood
- Layers are stacked in a cross-grain configuration & bonded under heat & pressure
- Less likely to be affected by changes in humidity
- Can be installed at all levels of the home
- Engineered construction with a longer, wider plank
- Allows the top layer to splice 2-3 rows of thin hardwood strips into one plank
- Can be glued down, stapled, or floated over a wide variety of subfloors
- Can be used almost anywhere in the home, including in dry basements